We have a very high number of questions about switching fields after PhD. Most of these are duplicates except for the fields in question. Here are some examples (by no means a complete list, I just got tired of copying and pasting):
- Change of field between PhD and Postdoc (civil engineering --> atmospheric)
- How to: Change of research field after thesis (math --> math)
- Is just after your PhD a good time to switch your research area?
- Recent PhD graduate, can I change fields and get back into it?
- Transition from PhD to postdoc with an intent to change field (theoretical physics --> theoretical physics)
- Practical aspects -- how to change subfields between PhD and postdoc? (biological physics --> theoretical physics)
- Physics PhD switching fields after short career break? (particle physics --> atmospheric physics)
- Is it possible to change the application area of research while looking for a postdoc position after PhD? (material science --> green energy)
- Switching fields in a postdoc after PhD, is that possible in psychology? (neuropsychology --> clinical psychology)
Since there are a lot of combinations between current field and target field, we could potentially have thousands of versions of this same question. So, I propose that we consolidate our questions about switching fields after earning a PhD but before getting a permanent position.
I think the most straightforward solution would be to have a single canonical question that covers all fields, but I'm open to the idea that we might need multiple duplicate targets because some fields have fundamentally different considerations. Thoughts?
Update: A candidate for this canonical question now exists here.