Mostly retired mathematician trying to help where I can: soft questions, elementary number theory, philosophy (differentials and infinitesimals), algebra newbies.
In TeX I tend to try to answer my own questions myself (often with ugly hacks!) so don't ask many here. As an answerer I'm better at do-it-outside-TeX and at helping newbies with easy questions than at competing with the wizards. I've used but never written a macro that needed \makeatletter.
Member for 6 years, 10 months
4 profile views
Last seen May 5 '19 at 22:18
- Mathematics 62.4k 62.4k 55 gold badges6969 silver badges148148 bronze badges
- TeX - LaTeX 8.3k 8.3k 33 gold badges2727 silver badges5656 bronze badges
- Academia 7.4k 7.4k 1818 silver badges3030 bronze badges
- Mathematics Educators 659 659 44 silver badges77 bronze badges
- Writing 572 572 44 silver badges88 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 125 A way to directly see that the interior angles of triangle sum to $180^\circ$?
- 88 If nine coins are tossed, what is the probability that the number of heads is even?
- 88 Why can't the second fundamental theorem of calculus be proved in just two lines?
- 83 My PhD defense is next week and I am having negative thoughts about my work and knowledge. Any advice on how to tackle this?
- 82 Asking questions in class: how can I "exit" a Q&A when I haven't really understood?
- 74 Conjectures (or intuitions) that turned out wrong in an interesting or useful way
- 73 Graduate student with abysmal English writing skills, how to help
- View more network posts →