A. I. Breveleri
Proper English has two genderless third-person singular pronouns, "it/it/its/its", which is used for things, and "he/him/his/his", which is used for persons. Proper English also has two gendered third-person singular pronouns, "he/him/his/his", which is used for male persons, and "she/her/her/hers", which is used for female persons.
The overlap between the genderless third-person singular pronoun and the gendered male third-person singular pronoun is unfortunate and inelegant, but does not lead to significant abiguity. For several centuries now, context has served to distinguish the twain in every common use case.
In the past several decades, however, certain persons have professed to be offended by this peculiarity of English grammar. Apparently certain feminists have put forth the thesis that early users of modern English deliberately conflated the words for the genderless third-person singular pronoun and the gendered male third-person singular pronoun in a nefarious conspiracy to elevate men to a position of privilege over women.
Further, the only way to defeat this sociopathological plot is to encourage every enlightened speaker and writer of English to adopt his own personal grammar. Hence the demand for everyone to "choose your pronouns" and announce his preference at the beginning of every communication.
Thus conscience doth make dotards of us all.
Anyone who demands that you change the natural grammar of your native language to suit his political advocacy is attempting to take over your mind, and his agenda deserves to be greeted with ridicule and scorn, and then ignored.
I intend to continue using "he/him/his/his" where no gender is indicated. Get comfortable in your own head -- because you're not moving into mine.
Member for 5 years, 7 months
0 profile views
Last seen Feb 8 '17 at 5:42
- The Workplace 15.3k 15.3k 88 gold badges2828 silver badges5353 bronze badges
- Home Improvement 11.5k 11.5k 11 gold badge1515 silver badges3636 bronze badges
- Worldbuilding 4k 4k 11 gold badge1414 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- Aviation 3.5k 3.5k 1818 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- Retrocomputing 722 722 33 silver badges88 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 420 How to stop a coworker from constantly nagging about joining his "initiative"
- 319 Manager wants to hire me; HR does not. How to proceed?
- 204 My management blocked my internal transfer, but now I have an outside offer. Should I tell them?
- 191 Is the term "man hours" appropriate for the workplace, and if not, how do I get my coworkers to use a more neutral term?
- 145 How do I deal with a team member who regularly makes breaking changes?
- 118 How to force disgruntled worker not to publicly disclose "GPL'ed code"
- 111 Fired for a policy I didn't know about, as well as another false reason
- View more network posts →