Looking at the questions posted on the private beta site, it looks to me like the vast majority of the questions there would fit quite well on Academia.SE. Perhaps they could even simply be migrated over here?
Examples of questions that would fit well:
- What should I do if I cannot afford a journal Article Processing Charge?
- How to protect scientific open research from being patented?
- How to deal with sensitive individual data in open science?
- How do I get a DOI for a dataset?
- Percentage of the world population with subscription journal access?
- What is the difference between “Green” and “Gold” Open Access?
Others look like they'd currently be closed here for being too broad, too dependent on particular regulations, or too opinion-based, but could probably be adjusted to be answerable within the rules and customs of this site. Examples include:
- How much does it cost to publish an academic article?
- What criteria does a research project need to match to be called open science?
- How can one share data for open science?
Only a few appear to be too far off-topic for this site, primarily because they concern technical details, such as:
- Using knitr to produce multiple output documents
- Publishing location based data in Easting and Northing, Longitude and latitude, or Addresses?
- Is there a specification for versioning a dataset?